Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 24 May 2001, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

I talked with people on #interface last week and we thought it might be
good to have some "GNOME Filesystem Standard" for $HOME:

[GFS Snipped]

Would something like this make sense?

This makes a rather lot of sense, to me, at least. It adds a little bit
of stability to a user's environment. But, if I may, two suggestions:

  1. Make the locations of these directories, whatever they may be,
  user-configurable. Of course, there should be a default, but there's
  no reason to hardcode the Documents folder in anything when it's much
  better to just pull it from some sort of configuration database (it
  seems like this is what GConf is for, although I must admit that as a
  mere user I am not too familiar with the individual components).

  2. Talk to the KDE people about this before work begins on it. Maybe
  they'll disagree, and probably wouldn't be too keen on using GConf
  or another GNOME-specific technology anyway, but there can be nothing
  other than good coming out of a discussion of this type.

-Evan