Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 08:23:38PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

Currently when people download executables from the network, say for
installing software, they can not execute them because the execute bit
is not set.

So typical installation instructions for a Unix application look like
this:

      1. Click on this link to download.
      2. Run a shell
      3. type chmod +x file
      4. Run

Ideally, we want to avoid this problem in GNOME, and we just want
executables to just work.  As they do in Windows.

So I would like to suggest that we set this bit manually if the user
double clicks on a file that happens to have an a.out or ELF
signature.  Maybe we could popup a warning or something, but the
result should be that files downloaded in this way would just work.

Not a bad idea I guess. With nautilus you can just
<right-click>/Show Properties and edit the permissions from there.

You should be able to mock up your idea by adding a simple application that
is registered as the handler for elf/a.out files which does what you described.

One issue might be that executables and shared libraries are the same format.
(I think)

Ian