Re: One more question:

Now I was trying to figure out how you actually start the Gnome File
Manager.  It became clear from reading the FAQ that one should start with a
./configure --with-Gnome and compile as usual then it says "See Download."

It's wrong.  I've fixed FAQ since then.  It's not a good idea to give
--with-gnome to configure - it should be able to find GNOME libraries
itself.

But even FAQ from mc-4.5.54 doesn't say that you need it to _start_ the
File Manager.  It is started by running "gmc" on the command line.  You
may want to install gmc from your distribution to try it.

Configure seems to work fine. But make produces the following:

edit.h:97: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

You should install development libraries for X from your distribution.

edit.h:107: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
edit.h:108: gdk/gdkprivate.h: No such file or directory
edit.h:109: gdk/gdk.h: No such file or directory

You should also install development libraries for Gtk.

And then later during make install:

It's a bad idea to run "make install" if "make" has failed.  Bad in
general, not for MC.

../src/i18n.h:11: gnome.h: No such file or directory

Yes, you also need GNOME development libraries.

All those libraries are included with RedHat 6.2. Unfortunately, I don't
know any way to find the package names from the names of missing files on
RedHat.  You have to guess.  Searching the web may be helpful too.

The general rule is that if package foo depends on library libbar, you
need libbar-devel package to recompile foo.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin