Re: OS/2 port

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:29:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org>
To: <mc gnome org>, <mc-devel gnome org>
Subject: OS/2 port

Hello!

(bear with me, I'm new at using mailing lists)

I started lurking here a few weeks ago in hopes of getting insight about
how to compile MC on OS/2.  Since the only programming I know is DOS Basic,
it is a fruitless but entertaining pastime for me.

2) There are at least two nc-like filemanagers for OS/2 - File Commander/2
(http://silk.apana.org.au/fc.html) and OS/2 Commander
(http://www.reinfeld.de/os2com/), both shareware.  I don't think that the
remaining OS/2 users care about licence too much.

OS/2 is waning but not dead, and I imagine OS/2 users care about licence
as much as any group of users.  I have been using OS/2 Commander; it has
some bugs and so far as I can tell is not being maintained.  A good port
of MC would certainly be an improvement.

3) It should be possible to compile MC with EMX using standard sources and
build process (configure; make) - like the Cygwin port.

Interesting.  That didn't work for me and I assumed that was why there
was an EMX-specific Makefile.  I'll look more closely at it.

If anybody wants to work on the OS/2 port (I mean fixing the problems, not
just testing) please speak out now.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to be much help.  It would be nice
if someone from the UnixOS2 project at www.unixos2.org would get involved.

Anton