Re: Performance patch, dir.c:do_reload_dir() on large dirs.

Greetings Pavel,

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 04:44:34PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, [iso-8859-1] Bj?rn Eriksson wrote:
 This small patch tries to skip the check-if-file-was-marked-in-the-
old-list-logic if no files we're marked at all. It considered
decrementing 'marked_cnt' for every found file but I think do_load_dir()
and do_reload_dir() would be better off with a hash table.

I'm adding a TODO comment about hash table.

There was a bug in your code - marked_cnt wasn't decreased when a marked
entry was matched.  In other words, if you have 20000 entries with one
marked entry and the mark has already been transferred to the new list,
the remaining entries are still matched against the old list.

 That wasn't a bug nor an oversight; (As I said above) I considered
decrementing 'marked_cnt' for every match but I think do_load_dir() and
do_reload_dir() would be better of with a hash-table.

 A hash-table would make it 'less big O', scale and more predictable.
<...looking at code...> But perhaps not a binary search (see dir.c:658)
since the list isn't sorted?

I'm applying your patch with this fix.  Thank you!

 BTW: lxr on gnome is:

  1) not linked from the project page and

Please give URL.  mc is listed at http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/

 I guess I wasn't totally clear, I meant to say that there's no link from
http://www.gnome.org/projects/mc/ to http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/mc

--
//Björnen, any missspellings are due to my 'd' key being flimsy :(