Re: mc^2 news (august 2016)

18.08.2016, 22:01, "Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury shurup com>:

Besides, I don't even want to work on mc all day long :-) It's a great
hobby project for a few days per week, but that's about it. So, my
personal dream would be to find an employer who is ready to sponsor 1/2
days per week of open source work (the more, the better ;-) ), such that I
could put part of this time towards mc, but on a regular basis (i.e.
weekly) rather than ad hoc, and still enjoy all the perks of not being
"self-employed"; how this pans out we shall see in the near future.

Yeap. I understand you perfectly :)

Now, yet again, this is just my personal view of things...

 I mean to structure those 500+ bugs/features ("future" milestone) in
 some meaningful way + put some estimates(weeks, dollars)/difficulty for
 them and try to pursue people on popular Linux forums for support.

If you are willing to invest some serious effort into pulling out
something like that, let me know if there is anything I could reasonably
help you with.

Well.
It looks to me it will require becoming an MC developer first.
To make a positive influence on this process, I mean.
Estimating/tearing tickets apart/etc. requires quite a lot of project internal structure knowledge.

In my personal view of the situation, however, then the biggest problem
with mc codebase today is the abysmal state of test coverage, which makes
maintenance a gamble and demands extreme efforts to review patches.

Before this problem is addressed, I'm not very positive about soliciting
massive contributions, which will end up rotting on the Trac waiting for
code reviews and rewrites... that might never come.

Hm. That doesn't seem too optimistic...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev