Paul Sokolovsky's maintainership application, was: Re: "mc is over!?" - post by Ilia Maslakov on Russian-speaking IT site

Hello,

On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:57:32 +0200
"Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury shurup com> wrote:

On Sat, 2015-05-30 at 14:08 +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
But I was asked would I take maintainership myself, and I provided
the answer.

Sorry, I missed "the answer" in your numerous emails.

Please see numbered list at the bottom of
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc-devel/2015-May/msg00069.html , tehn
number list at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc-devel/2015-May/msg00073.html .

My understanding
was that there was no answer, that is you don't want to make any clear
commitments yourself, but rather prefer to consult other people as to
how they should proceed, is that right?

No, not right.

If not, it would be helpful to
know how much time and how regularly you are ready to commit, and what
exactly you are going to be working on.

As a maintainer, I would consider the most important job is to provide
timely response to submissions, and lead submitters into preparing
patches in a way suitable for merging. I don't have immediate plans to
"commit" something myself (except for my own patches, once they're
reviewed). But if I see that there're many issues reported for some
non-core subsystem, or repeated attempts to fix it fail, I way raise
the question of removal of that subsystem, and if initial discussion
warrants, will prepare patches for that.

All my idea of maintainership is based on the fact that I already use
github daily, and already maintain many projects. github specifically
improved my productivity a lot, while on previous-generation hosting
sites I less than a dozen of projects, on github I have 100+ (I don't
work on all of them at the same time, usually in round-robin fashion on
3-5 at the same time, plus regularly submit bugs/discuss issues with
other projects).

On top of that, I don't have free time last 3 years, having even less
time last 1.5 years, and with all that I participate/maintain dozens of
projects, and come up with new regularly. So, having one more project
to look after doesn't add or take much from my situation (with
maintenance efforts as described above). Feel free to look at my
activity stats on github for perspective: https://github.com/pfalcon

I can't give any firm numbers on how much I could spend on mc
specifically. But if you want to hear something still, let it me 15min
a day, than an extra hour on weekend, 2 hrs per week.

If yes, then I'll rather not
answer the rest of the mails, because it's going to cost me many
hours.

Yes, I also consider this proposal to be final, and ready to wait
agreed-upon time (max 1 month, my suggestion is 2 weeks) to see if it's
useful. I will be only glad if better (like, truly better, which care
about community, not some code features) candidates will be found. I
will be unhappy if better candidates won't be found and my proposal
won't be found useful, but then I tried to be useful for a project
which is important to me, and otherwise I don't have lack of projects
to maintain.

I'll try to post my own plan separately as time permits.

Thanks, looking forward to it. Per above, I'd appreciate if there was
timeframe set for applicants, so that they knew that if that time
passed, and they were not selected, they are free to make other
commitments elsewhere.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml gmail com