Re: "mc is over!?" - post by Ilia Maslakov on Russian-speaking IT site

Hello,

On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:56:54 +0200
Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald buddenhagen gmx de> wrote:

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 02:08:37PM +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2015 11:53:58 +0200 Oswald Buddenhagen
<oswald buddenhagen gmx de> wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:46:08AM +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
You again trying to over-complicate. Start from a clean page on
github, while invite community to migrate issues from trac to
github. Most content on trac from people who gave up on mc long
ago. It makes sense to process what active people are
interested in and leave old stuff where it is.

nonsense. the old infrastructure is going to disappear at some
point, and everything on it will be lost. it is entirely
irrelevant that many of the people lost interest - most of the
issues are still valid, and a lot of time went into discussing
solutions. it would be plain stupid to throw this away, never
mind the disregard for other people's work.

I didn't propose to throw it away. I proposed to leave it where it
is for now and work on github issues/patches (which are also
issues/patches, surprise), while ask help from wider community to
migrate issues to github. If/when new maintainers ran out of github
issues, they certainly will look into trac themselves, either at
individual issues, or en-masse migration. The talk is about smooth
start for new maintainers without extraordinary efforts.

i think you are being a tad overly optimistic here.

And you, as few other folks, try to "frighten away" people with how hard
it is. What's the point, what's the plan with such behavior? Hope that
someone else will come and tell, "yeah, I have 20hrs/week, and I
already brought bucket and a mop to start cleaning your Augean
stables"? Previous cases show that it takes 1+ year for such event to
happen, which is not smooth transition at all.

just for some perspective: a year ago or so i went through the effort
of un-botching the previous import. more than half a decade after the
fact. at this rate, there is no reason whatsoever to think that the
infra will still be even there when somebody finally feels like doing
a migration (midnight-commander.org is owned privately by slavaz).

I know, hope Slava/Yury/whoever can maintain it, say, till the end of
this year. Again, not doing anything at all and waiting for a knight to
save it won't help either.

also, the longer you wait, the more work gets duplicated, and the
harder it will be to merge the data sets in a useful way.

Let's get to a productive tone: your help with the migration will be
much welcome and appreciated.

that's why i would expect some serious commitment to a migration from
somebody who wants to take over with the blessing of the previous
maintainers.

Sorry, but you cannot expect anything like that. Everything will be
done on best effort basis, just the same as was done before, and as
always the case with OpenSource projects. Acceptance is the first step.
If that is achieved, we can discuss technical and
organizational/personal commitments aspects.

[]
So, you started an argument in githib ticket, then came here just to
criticize and repeat "'tis not possible"?

there is no contradiction whatsoever in that. i can review and discuss
despite full awareness that i won't be able to put a final stamp of
approval under it.

No problem, but there should be finite time put into that, we can't go
in circles forever or even too long.

Come on, time for productive actions - are *you* ready to be a
maintainer?

no. exactly because i lack the time (or personal motivation) to make
the commitment. it's not like i haven't been tempted during a decade
of lurking.

Indeed, we talk here not about the "best" solution, but of not allowing
the "worst", when project went unmaintained for a prolonged time, and
at the same time improving some aspects wrt previous practices.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml gmail com