Re: "mc is over!?" - post by Ilia Maslakov on Russian-speaking IT site

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 21:20 +0200, Egmont Koblinger wrote:
Another thing that occurred to me: to save on long term development
costs, we should simplify the codebase and get rid of alternatives.

Hi Egmont,

These are all good points, and I generally agree, but it would be good
to first estimate how much code removing a particular feature would
allow us to get rid of, and then decide on this basis.

On one hand, I guess, SLang can go, but on the other hand, it appears to
be still actively maintained, and mutt, for instance, can compile
against both SLang and ncurses, just as mc.

Also, there are still quite some users of 8bit locales, and I'm not so
sure whether it would be a good idea to drop everything except for utf-8
just like that. Unlike you, however, I still haven't had a deeper look
into the charset stuff, so maybe there is a possibility to cut down on
branching without completely dropping 8bit.

In what concerns glib regex vs. pcre, I'm still not sure what's the
advantage of using glib wrappers for that, but it seems that using pcre
directly would at least allow us to control the crashing on invalid
utf-8 things stuff, so maybe getting rid of glib regex would be a good
thing.

If you'd be willing to investigate any of these avenues, that would of
course be great :-)

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev