Re: 256 color skins and screen. Was: Midnight Commander 4.8.13 released

On 2014-09-09 Egmont Koblinger wrote:

You can compare the environment of the "correct" and "incorrect" mc
inside screen (e.g. in case of Linux, by something like  tr '\0' '\n'
< /proc/xxx/environ | sort... and then diff).

Look for TERM, COLORTERM, TERMCAP... who knows what else.

Now, I pinned it down. The variable TERMCAP needs to be unset.
I now start mc via a screen hotkey like this:

  bind C screen -t 'mc' env TERMCAP= mc -x

and everything is okay.

I don't really understand it because I did not set any TERMCAP
variable before, nor did I have any "termcapinfo" stanzas in my
.screnrc.

Could this be something worth mentioning in a faq, or is it
possibly some error on my part that I have now corrected in a
clumsy fashion?

Thanks,

Morten