Re: Happy 20th Birthday!

Marco Ciampa composed on 2014-10-31 20:49 (UTC+0100):

MC was a great help for me to understand Unix file system in 1997 when I
was doing my first steps with Linux.

I became an OFM user with Norton Commander v1.0, using v5.0 on DOS and FC/2
on OS/2 at the time I began my exposure to Linux. Switching my primary OS
from OS/2 to Linux probably would have been delayed more than a decade were
it not for MC.

MC does have shortcomings I wish would go away:
1 https://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/273
2 shifted Fn keys with different meanings whether running in X or on vtty
3 lack of access to archives on sites with no FTP connectivity
4 single ESC doesn't quickly timeout as meta, dumping strings on cmdline when
desired action is selected archive/directory entry/exit or typing a command

Nevertheless it's virtually always the first command I run on a new
installation, and rarely unopened unless the machine is powered down or
booted to something other than Linux. I can't conceive of using any GUI file
manager on a routine basis.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/