Re: Ctrl-A, Ctrl-E have no effect

Hello,

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 09:51:06 -0800
Graham Lawrence <gl00637 gmail com> wrote:

[]
My laptop lacks certain keys, notably Home, End, PgUp and
PgDown.  Alt-V and Ctrl-V provide the function of PgUp and
PgDown.  Supposedly Ctrl-A and Ctrl-E should supply those of
Home and End, but in fact do nothing.

Hmm, and prooflinks for "should" part?

Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm referring to
both /etc/mc/mc.keymap and /etc/mc/mc.default.keymap as the source of
"should ...", which on my system lists these two entries
    Home = ctrl-a; alt-lt; home; a1
    End = ctrl-e; alt-gt; end; c1
None of these options  work for me.

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. I just find it surprising in
non-exciting sense that there're too many key combos in mc, not known
to many people (for example, I find it quite confusing that Ctrl+V is
bound to "page down").

I've tried putting
other key combos in mc.keymap instead, but they also had no
effect.

Do I need to make a special compile of MC to get their
particular functionality, or is there some other means to
that end?

You can try "Learn keys" functionality to redefine mc keys to some
extent.

That I did, with no success.  I duly pressed <Space> with Home and
End the current selection, pressed Ctrl-A/E respectively and then
repeated that key-combo when the Help message cleared, but in neither
case did it then show OK for the choice.

I can confirm that it doesn't work for me either (with git master).

Out of curiosity, do you have your keys broken, or you one of these
laptop novelties which don't have important keys? In the latter case, I
gather there should be hardware/firmware key combos to emulate Home,
End, PgUp, PgDn, etc. At least, that's what I have on Samsung ARM
Chromebook.

Otherwise, yes, I guess the only option currently is to patch source
code.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml gmail com