Re: bad mc-edit paste behavior?

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml gmail com> wrote:
Hello,

So, long ago I indeed worked that around by going to setting and
turning autoindent off then on (boring!). Then however I noticed that
depending on the way you paste you may be able to work it around by
several paste attempts. For example, Gnome terminal has 3 ways to
paste: menu command, Ctrl+Shift+V, Shift+Ins. So far, my background
pattern matcher didn't find exact rule what works better, it seems to
be just non-deterministic, though intuitively, Shift+Ins appear to work
better.

So... part of the story is that there's a Primary selection and there's a Clipboard, and some hotkeys might paste one and some the other.  But I'm sure you've already figured it out.

The second problem is that MC looks at the modifiers (assuming X11 support is available) and certain keys have different meaning depending on them.  E.g. Shift+Enter does a non-indenting newline, that's why Shift+Insert doesn't mess up indentation, so it usually gives a better result than the menu command of the terminal.  But  Ctrl+Shift+Enter is mapped to performing no action, that's why if you paste with Ctrl+Shift+V then all the newlines disappear.

Now I have two patches, if you apply both then Shift+Insert and Ctrl+Shift+V should do the same (the expected behavior), and if bracketed paste is supported by the terminal then the menu entry will also do the same.