Re: bad mc-edit paste behavior?

Hello,

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:16:53 -0400
Felix Miata <mrmazda earthlink net> wrote:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2013-09/msg00072.html seems to
describe a bug in mc-edit. Is the responder there correct that
auto-indent switched off would stop the bad behavior? Should it need
to be? Adding all those spaces and/or tabs doesn't make any sense to
me regardless of how line endings are handled.

I've been having that problem for ages - with Gnome though. If you
think about it, it's "logical", assuming pasting is handled by terminal
emulator, and not mc itself. And term emu can only implement pasting by
sending pasted content as key presses, including spaces and tab, and
mcedit, with autoindent on, has no idea that it's something else but
keypresses, so blindly applies autoindent as usual.

So, long ago I indeed worked that around by going to setting and
turning autoindent off then on (boring!). Then however I noticed that
depending on the way you paste you may be able to work it around by
several paste attempts. For example, Gnome terminal has 3 ways to
paste: menu command, Ctrl+Shift+V, Shift+Ins. So far, my background
pattern matcher didn't find exact rule what works better, it seems to
be just non-deterministic, though intuitively, Shift+Ins appear to work
better.

The way to resolve it would be to handle paste on mc side, and knowing
that mc already has some X integration, I may imagine, when Shift+Ins
works, that's what happens. The culprit is that it doesn't work all the
time and with all paste methods. Which probably partly due to braindead
X clipboard design (multiple buffers, etc).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml gmail com