mc stable 4.8 vs. precise pangolin

Hi devs,

Probably the most popular Linux distro, Ubuntu will release its next LTS (long term support = 5 years) edition, codenamed Precise Pangolin this April.

In my opinion, it might speed up and ease the work of MC developers for the next couple of years if we could manage to leave the 4.7 branch behind and focus on 4.8 and newer ones as soon as possible.  For this, I think that making Pangolin ship 4.8 would be a great step.

What needs to be done for that?  Figure out Ubuntu's release schedule (when is the version freeze etc.), talk to the maintainer of MC package, release the first stable of 4.8 branch (4.8.1.1) rather soon than late (I'm almost sure they wouldn't include an officially non-stable release in LTS) ??? -- I don't know...

What do you guys think?  Is it worth the effort?

thanks,
egmont