Re: Some keys are not properly recognized in Konsole/xterm

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 10:56 -0600, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:

> To me, the bigger problem is not what keys are used but whether or or
> not it works at all. And since the ctrl-home and ctrl-end key combos
> don't work with MC in GNOME terminal, this change broke the
> functionality. As best I can tell, the MC developers are blaming the
> breakage on GNOME terminal and the GNOME terminal developers are saying
> they won't change the way the key bindings work because it would break
> lots of other stuff.

Are they saying anything at all?

Actually, I have just tried Ctrl+PgUp / Ctrl+PgDown (which you can free
from the settings dialog) and Ctrl+Home / Ctrl+End on 4.7.0.1 in Gnome
Terminal and neither of those takes me to the beginning / end of file.

Ctrl+PgUp / Ctrl+PgDown take me to the beginning or the end of the
buffer and Ctrl+Home / Ctrl+End behave identically to Home/End.

> I've been an MC user for at least a decade but changes that have been
> showing up in recent versions of the MC editor are making the program
> more and more difficult to use productively. (other nits that annoy me
> are the recent breakage of the cursor that makes it float out past the
> real end of line and not wrap correctly, and the earlier change that
> replaced white space with gibberish characters)

Both of these are optional and should be off by default. If this is not
the case with the latest version, please submit a bug report.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev