Re: Some keys are not properly recognized in Konsole/xterm

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 10:23 +0000, frank wrote:
> > This does not really explain why the default key bindings were switched
> > from Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown that I've been using unconsciously for
> > quite a long time at all.
>
> Quite correct and quite oblivious of reality.
>
> It must be at least 10 years that editors have standardised on
> Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End to move to begin resp. end of buffer.

To me, the bigger problem is not what keys are used but whether or or
not it works at all. And since the ctrl-home and ctrl-end key combos
don't work with MC in GNOME terminal, this change broke the
functionality. As best I can tell, the MC developers are blaming the
breakage on GNOME terminal and the GNOME terminal developers are saying
they won't change the way the key bindings work because it would break
lots of other stuff.

Is there perhaps some way that these other editors you're mentioning
detect Konsole or GNOME terminal and adapt to their slightly out of
whack xterm escape sequences? Perhaps MC could be adapted to work
correctly with them too.

I've been an MC user for at least a decade but changes that have been
showing up in recent versions of the MC editor are making the program
more and more difficult to use productively. (other nits that annoy me
are the recent breakage of the cursor that makes it float out past the
real end of line and not wrap correctly, and the earlier change that
replaced white space with gibberish characters)

And, sorry, I don't really mean to give the idea I don't like MC,
because up until recently I've always been a huge proponent of MC and
installed it on every GNU/Linux system I've used as well as using it on
HPUX, AIX, Solaris, and other systems. It really is a great program and
I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it. :)

-Steve