Re: GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.2-pre1

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 01:02:12AM -0500, kilgota banach math auburn edu wrote:
> Me wrote:
>>>>
>>> it is
>
> On what grounds?

>>> just mark the text within mcedit before marking it with the mouse.
>
> Interesting.
>
> (Checking if this really works, or not ... yes it does ... )
>
> Yes, interesting indeed.
> Is this documented anywhere?

no, as it is more a bug that happens to turn out positive. :)
i guess anybody who uses selection in mcedit will figure out quite
quickly that any type of syntax highlighting disappears from selected
text. making use of this observation is kind of a no-brainer for me.

> I will open a bug report if that is needed,

i don't think it is. the respective bug report is still open and
documents the shortcomings extensively.

> And, yes, we know that indentations in a .c or .h file are to be done
> with the tab key and to do code indentations with the spacebar is
> considered as incorrect and bad practice.

that's *one* way to view it. you may find
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?9631 instructive.

> But since it is incorrect and bad practice to use the space bar, it
> would seem to me that very few people will do that [...].

how naive.

> Then I ask, why is it good to copy the <----->s into another file with
> a mouse-copy? The tabs of course ought to be copied. Naturally.

we are talking about shift-mouse selections. this selects the *actual
screen content* - mcedit is completely ignorant of these actions.
proper interaction with the x selection/clipboard is another issue -

> 3. If you want to introduce new phenomena in the software, then it is
> good if these things are documented somewhere.

oh, really?! ;-)

ps: please cut your word count by ~80%.