Re: Getting ready for a release

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:57:42AM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> how are we going to number the new release ?

/me votes for 4.6.2. As far as I followed the development, there's nothing
really brand new huge or conceptual change that would make calling it 4.7
reasonable, it only contains plenty of small bugfixes.

Being a maintainer of a distro what I see is that by now every Linux
distribution that matters has switched to using UTF-8, and mc is amongst the
really very very few packages that still need to be patched to work
correctly in such environments. (I think mc is the only one where lack of
utf-8 support is immediately seen by the users and makes it nearly unusable
in such systems). Hence distros will still have to patch mc for UTF-8, just
as they did with 4.6.1. It also implies that users won't be able to simply
download and compile and use this brand new mc - they'll have to wait for
their distributors to update the package, which probably don't happen
immediately due to the work required on their side.

So IMHO UTF-8 support out of the box is a must for the version named 4.7.

--
Egmont