Re: No MC snapshot since 2006-12-28

Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 10:01 +1100, Zdzislaw Sliwinski wrote:
On the surface, it looks like you guys could use "cvs watch".

I don't see how it could be useful.  The goal is to find out if there
were any updates since a certain time in the past.  How would you use
"cvs watch" for that?

It's also implied that the implementation show be completely transparent
to the developers.  For instance, they shouldn't have to use "cvs edit"
just because somebody somewhere is making the snapshots.

For the repositories I work with and I wanted to know whether a commit took place, I did "cvs watch add -a commit". In my mailbox, I receive notifications whenever somebody has changed a "watched" file. (They don't need to do "cvs edit" after they do "cvs co", BTW.) Then, you just sort those notifications by date (not that reliable) and look at the time of the commit (provided that your "notify" file is more elaborate than: ALL mail %s -s "CVS notification").

Another option, if you don't find "cvs watch" suitable, could be "commitlog" from your CVSROOT. This can work well, if your cvs server doesn't maintain many modules but even if it does, you should still be able to grep commitlog.

Or, as you already pointed out, you could examine ChangeLog - WinCVS comes with a built-in functionality to produce ChangeLog. cvs2cl.pl, or something similar, is another way to go about creating ChangeLog.

Best regards,
Zdzislaw Sliwinski