Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

dns lookup is performed - well, get_myname() is a bit stupid. There is
also this interesting fact - smbfs_init() retrieves the hostname but it
actually serves no purpose, it is not used anywhere in the code.

This is not entirely true. It appears the retrieved hostname is used
in a printf like function which process format strings and expands them.
This feature is used while reading the samba configuration file. I cannot
tell right now whether it is important to have the hostname set.

I see several solutions to this problem:

1) The user arranges for her/his network setup to be correct

2) We fix get_myname() so that it won't perform lookups except
when asked to do so

3) We remove the call to get_myname() from smbfs_init()

3 won't be an option if it turns out that it is important to have
the hostname set. So it must be either 1 or 2.