Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 11:53 +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
It is clear that this happens only of smbfs support is enabled.

Why? Because you can only reproduce it once you enable smbfs?

1) The backtrace shows it.

2) If i had smbfs disabled (and I do) i wasn't able to reproduce
the slowdown.

3) There are not gethostbyname() during MC startup.

I see several solutions to this problem:

1) The user arranges for her/his network setup to be correct

That's always a good idea, but I've heard sourceforge being mentioned
multiple times in relation to this. I think sf users don't have much
influence on the configuration of those systems.

It has confirmed that this is not the reason for the slowdown on sf. Please, read the whole thread.

2) We fix get_myname() so that it won't perform lookups except
when asked to do so

Moving the Get_Hostbyname() call to inside the if(ip) seems a proper
solution.

Yep. Maybe that's what we want to do. The impact will be minor.