Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

Yes. I understood that the first time through. There was a similiar bug
report already.

The question is: why MC is doing DNS queries? Is possible to
disable them?

Maybe someone else is doing those queries. A library linked to MC most likely. I've tried to reproduce that many times and I cannot get neither
the slowdown nor those particualr dns lookups for interface names. I
disconnect the network cable and still I am not able to get the described
behaviour.

Ok, I was able to reproduce it - it seems that the slowdown happens only
if MC has smbfs support. I'll investigate.

There are more calls to gethostbyname() after the get_myname () call. load_interfaces() is doing gethostbyname() for every single value of the
"interfaces" parameter of smb.conf. If interfaces doesn't contain an
ip_address/netmask pair load_interfaces() tries to resolve the value
via gethostbyname() :(