Re: midnight commander reloaded (?)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Pavel Roskin wrote:

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 14:53 +0200, Jozef Riha wrote:
"Summer of Code"-like sponsorship would not probably work due to the
complexity of the task, limited time and resources.

There is one thing that may work.  We could ask to rewrite mc in another
programming language as proof of maturity of that language.  I hope some

For what purpose ? If someone wanted to have a file manager in language XYZ he would have done so already.

Every now and then someone jumps in and starts complaining that he would want this and that added to MC and without those very IMPORTANT features
MC is just crap. Then they start to speculate how rewriting MC would pave
the way and so on and so on... Why don't these people just start contributing - either by suggesting ideas and ways to implement them or by actually writing code ?!

Maybe it should be permitted to modify an existing project (I believe
there is a file manager in Python) to match all significant features of
mc.  Although non-Python programmers would be at disadvantage in this
case.

I've tried ZC (Zemljanka Commander) at one point and I wasn't very fascinated. It is written in Python if I remember correctly and uses
GTK+/Gnome for the GUI. I am not sure but maybe one of the authors
used to work on MC in the past.