midnight commander reloaded (?)

Dear mc devs,

please let me thank you for your work at the first place. Midnight
commander is still my number one file-manager (Linux). Except the
utility I welcome there are however things I see in other
file-managers (total commander) which I would be happy to see ported.
Specifically:
* user defined key bindings
* better bookmarks system w/ hotkeys
* more options for searching (Esc ?)
* tabs (like in firefox/opera/you name it)
* plugin support
* better archive support (zip archive inside zip archive inside rar
and sidenote: look how tc  opens/reads huge zip files)
* ability to send copy/move process to background and back, manager of
background processes
-- Lower priority ones --
* drag&drop support
* option to use a GUI (--enable-gui like option)
* clock (remember volkov commander?)
* multiplatormness (a win32 port)
As from what I have read about the history of mc, the current
development is somewhat cumberome. Namely since version 4.x.x the
patches are becoming less transparent and it is still harder for a new
feature to make it into the sources. I do not know if or how much is
this true,  if the real problem is the active developer number or
something else, but I somehow feel that in order to make mc going
somewhere the sources must be rewritten from scratch.
Midnight commander is still the only widely accepted filemanager for
console but I see it becoming too old these days. And I am not the
only one seeing this. Therefore I was thinking of the following:
collect a decent sum of money from the linux users who share the same
ideas as
me, make a competition of tenders based on the demo of the new
manager, set detailed specifications (GPL license mandatory) on
software after those are met the money will be paid. Simil
ar to SoC except for that anyone (including companies) will be able to
take part on it.
What I would like to know is your opinion on the whole matter as I
admit I may be all wrong here.
Thank you. Best regards,

-- Jozef Riha