Re: How to repress subshell path echoing?

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 18:00 +0200, László Monda wrote:
> Thanks Pavel, it works great now!
>
> It seems that the standard Ubuntu .bashrc had "export
> HISTCONTROL=ignoredups" in it.

It's commented out in 5.10 (Breezy Badger).

> As I searched for the solution of this problem I noticed that more
> people had this issue and it made me think about what the Right Thing
> would be to do in this case.
>
> After starting the subshell wouldn't it be better for mc to append
> ":ignorespace" to $HISTCONTROL if there's no ignorespace nor ignoreboth
> already present?

That would add complexity to mc.  HISTCONTROL is currently set in the
environment after forking but before bash is started.  Setting anything
after .bashrc requires sending a command to the shell, just like it's
done with "cd".  If you want to check the value of HISTCONTROL in the
command, it becomes quite long. (I think you would use "case" to avoid
calling external programs).

Another solution would be to have a wrapper for .bashrc that would
run .bahsrc and then change HISTCONTROL.  You can do it already - just
create a file called bashrc under ~/.mc

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin