Re: How to repress subshell path echoing?

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 11:21 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 12:23 +0200, László Monda wrote:
> > As I moved from Debian to Ubuntu I noticed that my bash history
> > consists
> >
> > cd "`echo -e 'PATHNAME'`"
> >
> > entries which are created by mc when changing paths in the panels.
>
> mc sets HISTCONTROL=ignorespace in bash subshell, but either it has no
> effect or something is unsetting or changing this environment variable.
> Try "echo $HISTCONTROL" in the mc subshell.

Thanks Pavel, it works great now!

It seems that the standard Ubuntu .bashrc had "export
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups" in it.

As I searched for the solution of this problem I noticed that more
people had this issue and it made me think about what the Right Thing
would be to do in this case.

After starting the subshell wouldn't it be better for mc to append
":ignorespace" to $HISTCONTROL if there's no ignorespace nor ignoreboth
already present?

--
Laci

    My Blog: http://laci.monda.hu/blog