How to repress subshell path echoing?

Hi,

As I moved from Debian to Ubuntu I noticed that my bash history
consists

cd "`echo -e 'PATHNAME'`"

entries which are created by mc when changing paths in the panels.

I realize that it's the way mc commands the subshell to change
directories, but I also know that this pain can be repressed, because I
had no problems with it under Debian.

I've googled after the issue, but couldn't find any usable writings, so
I'd really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this problem.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Please CC: me, I'm not on the list.

--
Laci