Re: Proposal for simplification

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 23:22 +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > 3) Support only versions of gettext that have ngettext(), i.e. drop
> > gettext 0.10.x.

I see no objections, so I've committed this.

> There had been the suggestion that we don't use internal gettext at all.
> This would simplify at least the ./autogen.sh and the configure script.
> It would also reduce the size of the tarball by about 80k.

I'm quite of ambivalent about 80k, and I don't see much simplification.
In fact, AM_ICONV and AC_PROG_RANLIB would have to be added to
configure.ac because they are not implied for external gettext.

I'm more concerned that non-GNU systems will need to have GNU gettext
and GNU iconv installed for i18n to work.  It's harder to compile them
than S-Lang (AFAIK), but on the other hand, not having i18n is more
acceptable than not being able to run mc at all.

I'm keeping internal gettext for now, but I'm open to arguments.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin