Re: Proposal for simplification

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:08 +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > 1) Support only S-Lang 2 and only as an external library.  Those who
> > need mc will get S-Lang.  I know, this is pretty harsh, but the next
> > release is probably months away, and S-Lang 2 will be ubiquitous by
> > then.
>
> Most *nix variants have curses implementation. Why all of a sudden
> curses support should be dropped in favour of S-Lang ?

mc already prefers S-Lang on such systems.  Old curses (not curses)
support was already dropped and nobody complained. S-Lang and ncurses
have different API, which necessitates compatibility layer.  As we are
moving to S-Lang 2, we get more libraries to test.  Adding UTF-8 support
would likely increase incompatibilities even further (although I would
like to be proven wrong on this issue).  Restricting screen libraries to
S-Lang would likely simplify color management.  I believe some color
related code wasn't even written because of the need to support two
libraries.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin