Re: access to the mc homepage

Pavel Roskin wrote:
Hi, Roland!

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 23:43 +0200, Roland Illig wrote:

Currently, all releases will be built with line numbers stripped. That's why I wanted to have the translation files available separately. Or maybe we should switch the line numbers on for releases.

If that a real problem for translators?  I would think that the time to
download the tarball over a 14.4 kbps modem in some far part of the
world would be much more than the time needed to run msgmerge, even on a
genuine 386 system.

When I'm translating, I'm in most cases happy with pregenerated .po and .pot files. Only in case of doubt I download the tarball. And I don't compile a package just for translating it. I only use the line number information in the .po file and open the editor on that file.

Translators should have to do as little as possible for translating a file. Their job is translating, not installing a whole bunch of dependencies to generate the translation files.

I'm fine with this if it's actually requested by the translators.
However, I would prefer that we only keep the latest revision for every
active branch.  I know that ibiblio.org has lots of bandwidth, but let's
respect their free hosting of mc by not wasting their resources.

That's fine with me.

Roland