Re: [patch] TODO for 4.6.1: ./file in tar archive

Hello Leonard,

> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:40, Andrew V. Samoilov wrote:
> > Proposed patch does not handle paths like './/./', so canonicalize_pathname()
> > is wanted, but this solution is temporary hack only.
> > vfs_s_find_inode() returns wrong value now and should be fixed.
>
> Would the same be true if canonicalize_pathname() were used?

Well, now we need to handle ./ everywhere where it could happen.
Simple testcase:

$ touch abc ; echo abc | cpio -cp > dot.cpio

Edit dot.cpio and replace abc with ./b. Tap into dot.cpio.
I think this will be definitely understand that tar.c is wrong place to fix
this issue.

> What about the license issues Roland mentions? Are those a real concern?

I think
$ grep canonocalize_pathname vfs/*.c
clears this completely.

> > IMHO this issue is last to be fixed before 4.6.1 release.
>
> The broken pipe issue is still being worked on as Roland reported
> yesterday. Don't you want to have that fixed before 4.6.1?

IMHO this is not blocker issue.

> > Also latest pipethrough changes have to be excluded form this release because
> > of lack of testing.
>
> I believe the pipethrough code to be unused at this point. I forgot what
> Roland's rationale was to introduce it.

It could be included together via configure option.

--
Regards,
Andrew V. Samoilov.