Re: Patches for mc-4.5.51

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >
> > > If you believe in rumors that the new mc requires GNOME 2 and
> > > XFree86 as some posters here implied, please adjust your
> > > reality :-)
>
> The following makes me wonder if some distribution requires the
> XFree86 libraries.
>
> 2002-12-23  Pavel Roskin
>
>         * configure.in: Enable X11 support by default, use --without-x
>         to disable.
[snip]
> So, does 4.6.0 by default require it ? 2003-02-22 is after
> the release.

Let's not confuse requirements for compilation and requirements for
running a precompiled executable.

If you don't have X11, you compile without X11.  If you have X11, it's
used.  If you compile with X11 and distribute the executable, then the
resulting package depends on X11.

The claim on http://mc.linuxinside.com/ that it's impossible to _compile_
mc without X11 is outright wrong.  I guess the author of that text didn't
know what glib doesn't depend on X11.

In fact, it's glib that allowed us to remove the runtime dependency in the
CVS version.

> http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Jul/1031.html
>
> Well, it's up to the distribution maintainers. I don't know what SuSE
> did.

This is fixed in CVS by using gmodule.

--
Regards,