ftpfs, creating directories

Hi all,

I am running Slackware 8.1, and I have install MC 4.6.0 from source.

mc --version gives me:

GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
With builtin Editor
Using the ncurses library
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm

When I connect to an ftp server ( I am running stupid-ftpd on a non
standard port on the same machine, so I connect to localhost:8021 )
and try to make a new directory, it says "operation not permitted."
If I ftp to the same place with the command line ftp client, it lets
me make directories, so I know it is not the server.

I will try the cvs version of MC also, but I won't be able to get back
to this little project for a week or so.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Rob

I would prefer to use mcserv instead of ftpd.  The reason is that I am
doing this to build a floppy linux that can have the functionality of
the DOS Laplink diskettes -- that is, you connect two computers with a
parallel port and boot each from the floppy, and MC automatically
starts and allows you to list the remote harddisk in one window and
the local in the other, and copy things back and forth.  Mcserv is
considerably smaller than even my trimmed-down ftpd, as long as it
will work without requiring the portmapper.  When I get back to this
project next week I will try to run mcserv in gdb and start tracing
through to find out why it doesn't seem to work.  Does anyone know
what the last version of mcserv that worked is ?  Did directory
creation work on an mcserv filesystem ?

You can check out what I have so far on the floppy at
http://rgr.freeshell.org/flinux, if you are interested.