Re: test results mc.hlp.it 156+ M

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:24:56 -0500 (EST)
Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This problem is the main stopper for the 4.6.0 release.  I'd like to fix
> it without having to install Solaris myself, so your help will be very
> useful - it will save me a lot of time.
>
> > > Applied above patch, and though the pach may have is own merit for being
> > > applied anyway -
> > > the runaway mc.hlp.it still exists on my configuration. (see thread).
> >
> > Well, can you get first 200 kB of this file with dd?
> > Gzip/bzip2 it please and send me in private.
>
> Just in case you need some help with dd:
>
> dd if=mc.hlp.it of=mchlp bs=1024 count=200
> gzip mchlp
>
> If the resulting file is shorter than 40k, please sent it to the list,
> otherwise please add me to the CC:
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Hi,

  I'm a dev for Gentoo Linux, and this bug I reported a few months ago, but have never been able to solve or get any hard debugging info on.  I held off releasing a _pre1 in hopes that by _pre2 this would be somehow resolved, or find out that it wasn't at least a distro specific bug.  Now with _pre2 I have had 3 reports of this happening...filling gigs of HD space.  This also doesn't seem to be specific to mc.help.it as all the bugs between _pre1 and _pre2 have happened on different language files of mc.help. One of the weird things though is that now a bug has shown up of this actually happening during the install phase of one of those help files, when all the others it happened during the compile. On a side note this seems to be a very rare bug, but when it bites it bites hard.

Regards

--
Brad Cowan <bcowan gentoo org>
Developer,

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE  20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56