Re: mc.1 translated in Russian

Hello,

Also %{var} macro and smbfs are not documented in mc.1.in but in mc.hlp.ru.
history and hotlist files are not documented too.

You were some harry to remove REDME.smbfs. I planed to rewrite it completely.

It is fine, but somehow the old text about mc.sh slipped into your
translation.  It is a very bad idea for an interactive program to ask the
user to write a script.  Users are not supposed to write scripts; in fact,
they are not even supposed to read the manuals unless they are interested
in details - the interface should be self-explanatory!

Ok, I will sync russian translation with original mc.1.in.

On the technical side, the translated manual has "@prefix" without trailing "@" in two places. Please check your script.

This were my faults, my script don't do this.

By the way, it would be nice if you applied your script to the Hungarian translation as well - it is already on CVS (lib/mc.hlp.hu).

There is too many manual work.  My sed script can't differ .PP, .IP and .TP.

Is it a limitation of the script or the information is actually lost in mc.hlp?

I did not find solution in 5 minutes, so I did not investigate this issue carefuly.

 Could you please send me the script?

Sure. But there are some known issues. It does not produce .\"LINK2 if link is splited. I know how to implement it, but I was too lazy to implement and test it for 3 or 4 cases, sorry.

BTW man2hlp has some problems with cyrillic.  Sometimes it eats
whitespaces between words and does not split long lines.

I found it immediately when I looked into the sources.

       /* Don't add control characters to the length */
       if (c < 32)
           continue;

c is "int", it gets the value from "char *buffer", char is signed by default, so it gets extended to negative integers. I've committed a patch - it's fixed now.

Thanks! BTW as far as a know man2hlp was not designed to accept localized section headers,
so I use

.SH "Russian translation"
.\"Original section header"

in hope somebody else improve man2hlp.c. Another improvement is to eliminate perl. I understand it is standard now, but many host have not installed this package for some reasons yet. Yes, I know perl is used in uzip, and I belive this uzip is better than old shell script, but as for me it was one of the
unpleasant acquirements of 4.5.52.

Also xnc.hlp is completely binary file now,
and it should be also converted into mandoc format.

Actually, man2hlp shows a real problem in the translation - empty .SH at the line 4016.

FIxed.

By the way, where does "QueryBox" come from? There is no such word in the original manual.

It came from mc.1.hlp.ru.

Also the translation overuses empty pairs of double quotes. Run this to see what I mean:

grep '""' mc.1.ru.in

grep '""' mc.1.in also outputs 4 empty .SH entries.

BTW, I am not familiar with mandoc, so I don't know how to incorporate '"' in section header in other way. Also I don't know how to eliminate additional spaces for cases like

some text (
.I option
)

I need something like .BR, .BI, IR family from mm.

Regards,
Andrew.

s/\(.\)\([^]*\)[ ]*/\1\
.B \2\