Re: Re: patch: MC for Win32

> Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org> schrieb am 20.11.01:
> Hello, Franco!
>
>> so here's my patch for mc on Win32.
>
> Thank you very much!  I appreciate that you documented your changes so
> carefully.  I'm quite overwhelmed with work now and the worst thing is
> that I still have no internet at home (Verizon doesn't consider it as
> critical as phone connection), so it will take some time before I apply
> your changes.

No problem.

> Just some quick notes about one of your comments.
>>
>> - You also need gettext ( i.e. my gettext port
>>     http://home.a-city.de/franco.bez/gettext/gettext_win32_en.html )
>>
> What if we disable NLS support for now until gettext is ported properly to
> Win32?  Extra dependencied mean extra hurdles for potential developers.

We could make this optional - a few lines of comment in the Makefile
on HOW TO enable/disable NLS (gettext) and disabling it by default is maybe best.

What do You mean by "unitl gettext is properly ported" - is my port not proper enough ? There are at least two other ports we could use.

BTW: who is currently maintaining the german translation of MC ?
There are several things that should be fixed/improved there.

>> I added the two files
>>
>> mc/pc/regex.c
>> mc/pc/regex.h
>>
>> from the mc-4.1.36 distribution.
>> This is just a quick fix.
>> As the new distribution no longer contains
>> mc/src/regex.h
>> and
>> mc/src/regex.c
>> was giving trouble.
>
> That's not true.  src/regex.c is still there.

  Yes - like I said - it was just giving trouble.

>  src/regex.h has been
> renamed to src/eregex.h (it looks like that, there are no ChangeLog
> entries).

I will try with src/eregex.h and src/regex.c

> I believe that you should have regex in the system library as well.

I will check this , but I believe mingw doesn't have regex, as it uses the M$ runtime library.

> The
> files included with MC are only used for some GNU-specific things.

>> the mingw32 toolchain I use is
>> based on gcc-2.95.2-1 , winapi-0.1.5 , mingw-runtime-20000203
>> I built it from source on my Linux box.
>> it uses "msvcrt" as c-runtime library.
>
> That's very encouraging.  No need to use Windows to compile MC for
> Windows
> :-)

That is true, NO NEED TO USE WINDOWS FOR DEVELOPMENT,
even for testing MC for Win32 the Windows Emulator (WINE) might be sufficiant. (I have not yet tested MC.exe with WINE.)

> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Ciao,
  Franco

Berufsunfähigskeitversicherung von Mamax bei WEB.DE.
Jetzt informieren! http://bu.web.de