Cure for "BAD BUG REPORTS"

Pavel,

You have more than once cried out for help about people giving useless
bug reports:

> You forgot to mention the MC version and the OS name.  Just imagine
> somebody reporting a problem in _your_ software without telling you the
> version and the OS it's running on!
>
> To list subscribers: what should we do about such messages?  It's getting
> increasingly annoying, and I'm sorry for adding the messages with "my
> frequently asked questions" to the list traffic.  Moving those question to
> the private discussion is not a good idea - interesting facts in the end
> of the discussion don't appear on the list.  On the other hand, it's
> better to educate people than to ignore them.  Is there any good FAQ
> describing how to report software problems?

I have found a reasonable FAQ on the internet about bug reports:
http://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/about/HOWTO/Bug-Reports-HOWTO

I would however urge you, Pavel, to include a file in the root directory
of the upcoming mc-4.5.55. I saw a very good example in the source
distribution of XFree86-4.1.0., which I have included for reference
(bug-report).

I've also made another version: bug-report-mc with some changes that are
needed to use it in mc. It is not finished, so you should have a look at
it and add the items that you find are important for mc bugs.

A third alternative is to revert to solely use bugzilla, but I'm not
very keen on that idea myself.

regards,
Steef

Drs. S.X.M. Boerrigter
RIM Laboratory of Solid State Chemistry, University of Nijmegen
Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED  Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Telephone: (+31)-(0)24-3652831    Fax:(+31)-(0)24-3653067
email: sxmboer sci kun nl         http://savannah.gnu.org/users/sxmboer
"Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things,
 because that would also stop them from doing clever things." --Doug
Gwyn
Murphy's law: Anyt<Warning: Mail system error: Unexpected End Of File>
[PLEASE make your Subject: line as descriptive as possible.
Subjects like "xterm bug" or "bug report" are not helpful!]
[Remove all the explanatory text in brackets before mailing.]
[Send to xbugs x org, as shown in the sample message
header below]