Re: community managers

I think this comes down to a philosophical difference in ideas about
what GNOME is, as it has before. Is GNOME really just GNOME Shell as
we release it? When other people use our technology, in XFCE,
Cinnamon, Unity, Mate, etc, are they still using GNOME? Do we want to
completely segregate ourselves from them? Is that healthy for our
community? For theirs? Or would we all be better off, recognizing that
we all use many of the same technologies, and that we all have
something to share. Wouldn't we all be better off, if the folks who
work on Cinnamon and XFCE and Mate and GNOME Shell could all sit
around and talk about their problems together, and find solutions that
work for everyone?

I'm not saying we should all combine and just produce one desktop -
that's never going to happen. But recognizing each others' work as
useful, as interesting, as important would go a long ways to repairing
some of the relationships that have suffered. I don't really want to
run Cinnamon, but I don't doubt that there are parts of it that I
would enjoy and find useful. Why can't we find a way to share? A way
to include everyone who uses GNOME technology so that we can all share
what we do and learn from each other and make better software. Isn't
that what GNOME has always been about?

Emily