Re: GNOME News

On Wed, July 18, 2012 7:47 am, Allan Day wrote:
> Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
>> I think we should aim for a minimum of 2 posts a week, and if/when
>> there is more to post, not hesitate to do so. Whenever big events (ie
>> GUADEC, GNOME.Asia, etc) occur, its quite likely that we'll have much
>> more content to publish, and limiting ourselves to 3 or so posts a
>> week just seems silly. It also sets ourselves up for irrelevance as we
>> are likely to have time-relative material that only makes sense to
>> publish around the event. Waiting untill afterwards simply because of
>> a pre-determined schedule is likely to make it fall into irrelevance
>> and not get published at all. During GUADEC large portions of our
>> audience are likely to want releveant and up-to-date posts more so
>> than at other times.
>
> To clarify - the suggestion for 3 posts a week was a minimum, not a
> maximum, and the number was just intended to get the discussion going.
> We can totally change that. :)
>
> I would hope that we will include event reports within the schedule,
> and we will obviously need to be flexible in order to cover events as
> the happen. That'll take a little bit of running coordination.
>
> The main goal of the schedule (and the editorial team) is to ensure
> that posts are fairly evenly spaced. We don't want too many posts at
> the same time, and we need to avoid having lengthy dry periods.

This sounds great! We could perhaps evaluate some of the GUADEC materials
for articles that are not time sensitive (interviews and the like) so we
have a backlog of materials to fall back on during drier times - that's
how I got my oggcast going with Bradley the first year. Jos and I wrote
some materials at DS last year, but they didn't go that far.

>> Using a Google Doc for a rough schedule so as to ensure that we do
>> have content during the 'dead' periods between releases, conferences,
>> etc does make sense. I'd be happy to be an editor/reviewer on the site
>> as I have been doing for the past week or so now. So far its been
>> great, and everyone I've heard from seems to enjoy them.
>
> Great - it would be fantastic to have you working on this.

So great, thank you Emily!!! Are there downsides to using piratepad or
something like that?

>> I haven't yet committed to any BOF, so the 1st sounds fine to me. What
>> time?
>
> It'll be the final day; we ought to make sure that people will be
> around before making definite arrangements. But maybe 11am would be
> good?

I think I'll have to leave before then, but if this time works for
everyone else I'll try to meet up with folks before then during the
conference to chip in.

I'd love for us to find a time for a marketing hackfest too during the
months after GUADEC. Maybe co-located with the Boston Summit?

karen