Re: youtube GNOME channel..

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me>
>> wrote:
>> > It seems that our GNOME channel is languishing.  For the life of me I
>> > cannot
>> > figure out how to mark videos as part of the GNOME channel.  We have
>> > several
>> > 3.0 related videos that I would like to see tagged.
>>
>> Which videos do you want to tag? I'm generally of the view that we
>> should limit ourselves to pushing high quality videos.
>

> At the moment, I just want our 3.0 videos that we did.  I don't have any
> other ones at the moment.

They're all on there [1], aren't they?

My problem was that I could never find the GNOME channel.  I know I try to make an attempt to subscribe to it, and I tried some combinations but didn't really get very far.  I'ts probably just ignorance on my part.

> As for quality I'm not sure.  I think it depends on what the channel wants
> to be used for.  The original idea behind the channel was to have a place
> for people to get videos on how to use GNOME effectively, to highlight
> features, learn how to use our popular applications.
>
> I agree a certain standard needs to met, but it shouldn't be so onerous that
> we get nothing.  Probably something we have to play by ear.

Yeah I agree with that. What I would like to avoid is turning it into
a community site that features any old screencast someone might have
cooked up.

Right, after all this is marketing, so we want to protect the brand as much as possible adn that means a level of production that we all feel respects the brand.

The other thing is that it would be good to avoid having yet another
news channel. In the recent past we have used the youtube account for
hosting but embedded the videos in our websites. That still seems the
right way to go, unless we can guarantee a regular stream of new
content on the channel.

Right.  I'm hoping to grow that stream of content, or use it for ads whatever.  I would still like to see the original idea of having a subscription and getting interesting how to videos or perhaps screencasts of new features etc.

Speaking of videos, it's time we retired the ones Jason made. It would
be great to have some replacements!

I agree!  I was kind of thinking that we could have something setup for GUADEC.    Meaning we work with the guadec organizing committee to have a room reserved with everything setup to do videos so that we can get others to do short video clips on the new features of GNOME 3.  That way it isn't allon Jason or someone else to set up a video setup.  It'll be fun too because it would be a group effort.  I nominate Lennart Poettering for at least one! :)

sri

Allan

[1] http://www.youtube.com/GNOMEDesktop