Re: Annual Report Status?

Hi,

On 02/28/2012 03:08 AM, Brian Cameron wrote:
We should consider, though, how we could better harmonize our marketing
efforts to gain sponsors and to better simplify things. I think the
brochures are good, but we benefit more by harmonizing them.

Many advisory board members have told us that they would prefer being
approached just once in the year and asked for a single amount. They
have told us they do not like being approached separately for each
event, as we have tended to do in the past. So do two brochures make
sense?

I hope I understand you correctly - are you suggesting that the annual report is somehow a brochure we use for sponsor & AB recruitment?

While I think it is useful for that, because it's showing the value of the foundation, I don't think that's its primary purpose. I see it as our annual magazine, an opportunity to spread news about GNOME far & wide. I think that adding a donation form targeting individuals might be a good idea, but I don't think that mixing advisory board budgets with the annual report is appropriate. In fact, advisory board budgeting is necessarily very high-touch, hand-holding, and I wouldn't expect a brochure to impact that budgeting decision at all. I see the GUADEC brochure as being aimed at potential sponsors not on the advisory board, or as an infoirmational document for advisory board members.

Also, I'm not sure we're in a position now to have a one-off "what's our budget next year" conversation with most advisory board members. That's a conversation to have in August and September, when the annual budget is being finalised, not in March. So the GUADEC brochure may well end up being a useful tool for advisory board members too.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary