Re: Annual Report Status?

Hi,

On 02/28/2012 12:37 AM, Karen Sandler wrote:
On Mon, February 27, 2012 5:00 pm, Brian Cameron wrote:
On 02/27/12 03:50 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
IMHO, it's better not to have "homework" articles - if a team
doesn't have anything compelling to write about, they shouldn't
be in the report.

But we definitely should not be wasting our time waiting around
for teams that cannot get their act together.

Actually, everyone's busy, so I think it often helps to put something
together from materials they've written already and then see if it can be
updated and improved by the team! Annual reports should be good to read,
but they also need a comprehensive overview of what our organization has
been up to in the period, even if there are teams that are not excited
about writing stuff up.

To explain what I had in mind:

I don't want to paint this as "Lazy teams, not sending in their reports" - that would be homework, and wouldn't make the report better.

What I would like to have is an editor who either (a) asks what's been happening that's cool, or (b) looks through blog posts and articles and figures out what would be compelling, and then either ask people to write something specifically about that, or (as Emily has been doing) writing something short about it, and asking people to review and edit.

In brief:
 - Start from something worth talking about
 - Figure out content around that

So what we're talking about, for example, might be Igalia's investment in accessibility (hiring Joanie, API as a11y maintainer, and all the great work they're doing) rather than getting "the accessibility team report". Or we might have an article on how much users like Mallard documentation, and a short tutorial on how to document a module, rather than "the documentation team report".

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head on how I think we should be approaching it.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary