Re: GNOME FOSDEM Stand

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
> On Wed, February 8, 2012 4:52 pm, Allan Day wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de>
>> wrote:
>>> Hey folks :)

>>> We do. And it doesn't. At all. There has barely been enough space to fit
>>> the nice nametags we had. That's for the v2 box (which should be called
>>> v3 because of GNOME3 anyway ;-) ) but the v1 box didn't have significant
>>> space left as I've last seen it in May.
>>>
>>> Your suggestions are very good though. We should try to figure out how
>>> to get things like more merchandise or roll up displays around the
>>> world.
>>> Some suggestions that need evaluation:
>>>
>>> Simply have another box with the additional stuff.
>>> But we'd need to find out:
>>>        How much does such a box cost?
>>>        Much much does shipping cost?
>>>        And well, then we need an educated guess whether these costs
>>>        are worth the expected promotional effect.
>>
>> If we want a better stand, we need more stuff for the stand, and that
>> means we need more transport capacity. That means either another box
>> or a bigger box. :)
>>
>> Is someone able to find out how much another box would cost to buy and
>> transport? Do we know how many times a year the events box is used?
>>
> Is it practical to have two boxes per event? I thought it was already
> something of a pain to store and transport the one? (though I'm of course
> very excited by the idea of a better stand!)
>
> I guess if we were able to, we could do it as a primary and secondary box
> where we could use the secondary box if we had volunteers/resources to
> move and use two? Is that what you were thinking?

It was. Two boxes seemed only marginally more hassle than one. It
sounds as if the transport costs might be higher than I had
anticipated though, so I'm not sure.

Whatever happens, it is clear that we need a new banner, something
resembling a tablecloth and some new merchandise (stickers, badges,
etc etc). The banners should preferably be more substantial than the
current ones. Vertical stand up banners would be a bonus.

The amount of space in the box does seem to be a problem though.
According to the wiki [1] the current banners already have to be
shipped separately. I'm also assuming that the t-shirts get
transported on their own - how does that currently happen?

As it stands, the options seem to be:

 1. Do more with the box we have [but how?]
 2. A second box [could be expensive]
 3. A bigger box [could also be expensive]
 4. Distribute extra materials between volunteers [but which volunteers?]

Regarding option 1, it might be worth asking if the current contents
of the box are optimal. How often are the projector and router used,
for example?

However, if we are already shipping banners and t-shirts separately a
second box might not be such a bad thing. We also might want to think
about how we can organise the second box to keep transport costs low.
Could it be passed between volunteers, for example?

Allan

[1] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeEventsBox/
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org