Re: happy birthday GNOME website!

----- Mensaje original -----

I like the idea. We have to talk about the length of the texts.

Germán Poó has some old virtual machines. Maybe it would be good idea to offer a virtual machine to try it. He has GNOME 1.0.56, 1.2 and 1.4. They are based in Red Hat. Version 1.0.56  (qemu image) and 1.2 (linux 2.2, vmdk) are tricky to run. Version 1.4 (linux 2.4, vmdk) is easy to run, so I think is perfect for us. The user is gnome, password gnomehistory (same for root). If people like the idea, we can prepare other VMs of the other GNOME versions based on different distros. I think if we do this, we should use the OVF/OVA format.

http://calcifer.org/tmp/vm/

About the text, I have a selection of urls that can help to the process:

* Story of the early days of GNOME
http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/gnome-history.html

* dates of the versions of gnome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

* release notes:
http://www-old.gnome.org/press/releases/

* Press reviews of dot zero GNOME versions:
http://www.osnews.com/story/1280/A_User_s_First_Look_at_GNOME_2_0
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/04/ars-reviews-gnome-30-a-shiny-new-ornament-for-your-linux-lawn/

* GNOME in the Academia:
http://libresoft.es/publications/2005-developer-identification-msr
https://hostdb.ece.utexas.edu/~perry/education/382v-s08/papers/german.pdf
http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/chapters/0262562278chap11.pdf
http://www.alialmossawi.com/ali_almossawi_thesis_final.pdf

As a side note, reading an old interview to Miguel de Icaza in GNOME 1.X days, I really like this reply:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/00/04/03/2344211/miguel-de-icaza-tells-all

"I understand that for a seasoned Unix user GNOME might not bring a new
paradigm for their way they work, but you have to think differently.
You have to think how many people have or will be able to run free
software on their desktops because it is easier to use.
We do plan on continuing improving GNOME, and catering to the needs of
the people who are just starting to use computers and just starting to
use GNU/Linux."

because I think this can be told in the GNOME 2 and 3 days  :-)

Cheers,

     -- Juanjo Marin