Re: [Fwd: Question about the trademark policy and usage of the GNOME logo]

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 19:03 +0100, Juanjo Marín wrote:

> >________________________________

I'm confused about what many of the things are on OSX, Windows, KDE,
etc. because I don't use them.  Its quite natural for people to not
understand what all these names mean when they're not actually using
them.  Desktops have many components.  That's the way it is and always
will be.

But "mindshare" is a different thing from "marketshare."  Mindshare
speaks to branding familiarity.  And if you see all those things you
listed above with "powered by GNOME" that only helps us, not hurt us as
it increases our mindshare.  People see GNOME name no matter where.

You can kind of make a similiar analogy to how Ubuntu does this.  I'm
sure a noumber of us have shown our non-Ubuntu desktop to some person to
introduce them to another "Linux" and they go "Oh yea, that's Ubuntu"
and we have a bit of a challenge to explain to them... no  this desktop
isn't Ubuntu, its $Linux.  But mindshare is there, people equate in
their mind that when they see $Linux, they see Ubuntu.  (Not bashing
Ubuntu here.)

Wouldn't we want people to see derivatives of GNOME and still associate
the name "GNOME" in their minds  no matter what?

Bryen