Re: GNOME 3 videos

Hey Jason!

Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 17:33, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah panix com>
> wrote:
>         I'm looking at
>         http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Gnome3In30Seconds and
>         http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/82744.html  -- I'm
>         downloading some of the videos, but my connection is really
>         slow right now so I can't judge whether any of them are ready
>         to go up on gnome3.org.  (Also, Jason said they'd need to be
>         refilmed about now anyway -- updated, I assume.)
>
> There are still some outstanding theme changes and some UI changes
> that just landed so there's nothing ready to post. I had, at one time,
> hoped I'd have time to post videos in beta quality (similar to the
> video you downloaded) with an overlay on the video so that they
> wouldn't be re-posted on tech. blogs but I never had time to do that
> and they would have to be re-filmed now that the UI has changed,
> anyway.
>
> I've reserved my free time from the 11th through the 20th for filming
> and post-production. How many will I finish during that time? I don't
> know. I've asked for help several times throughout the past year and a
> half and haven't gotten any offers except for some help with music, so
> as far as I know, it's just me working on them, even though I posted
> that complete HOWTO. Would love the help but I'm afraid the technical
> learning curve is too high for anyone not familiar with video and
> video editing and we're just too close to the deadline for me to
> invest any time in training someone else.

Thanks for the update.

Do you think it would be desirable for us to put out a set of more basic
videos or screencasts in the interim? There is obviously a lot of
interest in some of the GNOME 3 features that you cannot show using
screenshots. Also - as you know - there have been a number of decidedly
substandard screencasts appear on the web. We could slap a beta label on
them if that would help.

There are one or two people who might be willing to help with this, but
I don't want it to conflict with what you are working on, and I want to
ensure that what we are putting out is of sufficiently high quality.

On a separate subject, there are a couple of things I'd like to see
covered in our videos, from a design and marketing pov:

 * Accessing the activities overview: this is the most basic operation
people need to learn to use the GNOME 3 desktop. The video would cover
the three ways of entering and exiting the overview (activities button,
hot corner, windows key [we need a better name for that!]).

 * Arranging your windows: a subject on which there has been recent
attention; also a place where users might benefit from seeing how it
works. The video would cover drag to maximise/unmaximise, double click
to maximise/unmaximise, and half-screen tiling.

 * A walk around the overview: introduce the key parts of the activities
overview (dash, windows view, applications view, workspaces switcher,
messaging tray). Would give a quick introduction and demonstration of
each one.

Any thoughts? (Apologies - I know it's late in the day to be bring this
up.) I can write scripts for these, if you'd like.

Best wishes,

Allan
--
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/