Re: GNOME 3 videos

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 17:33, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah panix com> wrote:
I'm looking at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Gnome3In30Seconds and http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/82744.html  -- I'm downloading some of the videos, but my connection is really slow right now so I can't judge whether any of them are ready to go up on gnome3.org.  (Also, Jason said they'd need to be refilmed about now anyway -- updated, I assume.)

There are still some outstanding theme changes and some UI changes that just landed so there's nothing ready to post. I had, at one time, hoped I'd have time to post videos in beta quality (similar to the video you downloaded) with an overlay on the video so that they wouldn't be re-posted on tech. blogs but I never had time to do that and they would have to be re-filmed now that the UI has changed, anyway.

I've reserved my free time from the 11th through the 20th for filming and post-production. How many will I finish during that time? I don't know. I've asked for help several times throughout the past year and a half and haven't gotten any offers except for some help with music, so as far as I know, it's just me working on them, even though I posted that complete HOWTO. Would love the help but I'm afraid the technical learning curve is too high for anyone not familiar with video and video editing and we're just too close to the deadline for me to invest any time in training someone else.

The marketing roadmap http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/MarketingRoadmap  suggests that I should reach out ASAP to the translation team to make translations of the video scripts -- that is, the words that the narrators are saying, and any important words visible on the screen.  That way, once we have re-filmed videos with up-to-date installations of GNOME 3, the translators can use http://universalsubtitles.org and easily copy and paste their translations into the subtitling interface.

The "scripts" are loose and get modified a bit when I film and go in to post-production and find out that an idea that I had didn't work out quite right. Having people start translating these early would probably be frustrating for them. Additionally, jimmac said that he wanted to add/change some scripts.

My feeling is that we go live with UT and English and allow crowd-sourced translation from live-day. Whether that happens to be by the translation teams or a random community member, I don't think it makes any difference as long as "live-day" is in advance of the GNOME 3 launch day.

2) We have about 6 sample scripts for Gnome3In30Seconds ... are they final enough to give to translators?  If not, I suggest people edit them before Monday so I can give them to the i18n team as soon as possible.

Yea, let's not do that or at least with a giant caveat that something translated may not even remotely resemble the final product. Or may never even end up getting used.

On the topic of help, what someone could definitely help set up would be preparing our YouTube account (don't remember who has login) and figure out how to force YouTube in to HTML5 embedding mode and how to make that work with UT. All I know is that the "new" YouTube embedding method involves IFRAME's and I'm not even entirely sure that it's possible to force HTML5 mode.

Red Hat asked that we not put the videos on their servers for fear of launch day bandwidth-related meltdowns. So, it's going to have to be hosted in the cloud somewhere and YouTube seems the friendliest option. They (Google) support GNOME and they're pushing HTML5+WebM.