Re: GNOME 3 videos

Attn: Bryen, Stormy, and Alberto below:

On 03/04/2011 02:32 PM, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 17:33, Sumana Harihareswara<sumanah panix com>wrote:

I'm looking at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Gnome3In30Seconds and
http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/82744.html  -- I'm downloading some
of the videos, but my connection is really slow right now so I can't judge
whether any of them are ready to go up on gnome3.org.  (Also, Jason said
they'd need to be refilmed about now anyway -- updated, I assume.)

There are still some outstanding theme changes and some UI changes that just
landed so there's nothing ready to post. I had, at one time, hoped I'd have
time to post videos in beta quality (similar to the video you downloaded)
with an overlay on the video so that they wouldn't be re-posted on tech.
blogs but I never had time to do that and they would have to be re-filmed
now that the UI has changed, anyway.

I've reserved my free time from the 11th through the 20th for filming and
post-production. How many will I finish during that time? I don't know. I've
asked for help several times throughout the past year and a half and haven't
gotten any offers except for some help with music, so as far as I know, it's
just me working on them, even though I posted that complete HOWTO. Would
love the help but I'm afraid the technical learning curve is too high for
anyone not familiar with video and video editing and we're just too close to
the deadline for me to invest any time in training someone else.

As always, Jason, I appreciate your unflinching pragmatism and emphasis on execution. I agree that we cannot assume anyone else will help with this in time to get them out by late March.

The marketing roadmap
http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/MarketingRoadmap  suggests that I
should reach out ASAP to the translation team to make translations of the
video scripts -- that is, the words that the narrators are saying, and any
important words visible on the screen.  That way, once we have re-filmed
videos with up-to-date installations of GNOME 3, the translators can use
http://universalsubtitles.org and easily copy and paste their translations
into the subtitling interface.

The "scripts" are loose and get modified a bit when I film and go in to
post-production and find out that an idea that I had didn't work out quite
right. Having people start translating these early would probably be
frustrating for them. Additionally, jimmac said that he wanted to add/change
some scripts.

My feeling is that we go live with UT and English and allow crowd-sourced
translation from live-day. Whether that happens to be by the translation
teams or a random community member, I don't think it makes any difference as
long as "live-day" is in advance of the GNOME 3 launch day.

OK, agreed.

2) We have about 6 sample scripts for Gnome3In30Seconds ... are they final
enough to give to translators?  If not, I suggest people edit them before
Monday so I can give them to the i18n team as soon as possible.

Yea, let's not do that or at least with a giant caveat that something
translated may not even remotely resemble the final product. Or may never
even end up getting used.

Got it, and agreed.

On the topic of help, what someone could definitely help set up would be
preparing our YouTube account (don't remember who has login) and figure out
how to force YouTube in to HTML5 embedding mode and how to make that work
with UT. All I know is that the "new" YouTube embedding method involves
IFRAME's and I'm not even entirely sure that it's possible to force HTML5
mode.

Our YouTube account is http://www.youtube.com/user/GNOMEDesktop and Bryen and (probably) Stormy have the login via video gnome org. Also, we're part of the YouTube nonprofit program. YouTube power users: do you know how to force HTML5 mode in YouTube?

Red Hat asked that we not put the videos on their servers for fear of launch
day bandwidth-related meltdowns. So, it's going to have to be hosted in the
cloud somewhere and YouTube seems the friendliest option. They (Google)
support GNOME and they're pushing HTML5+WebM.

OK, that sounds fine to me. We also have a Vimeo account -- http://vimeo.com/channels/gnome run by Alberto Ruiz (thanks, Will, for the link!). Instead of duplicating effort by putting the videos up in two places, I suggest we put up the GNOMEIn30Seconds videos wherever it's easiest (probably YouTube) and encourage viewers to hit the GNOME Miro Community to get videos from various accounts. Alberto and the YouTube account owners could edit profile information and video descriptions to encourage this.

Best,
Sumana