Re: Can we document how to do GNOME announcements, please?

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:23:50AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
> > So news.gnome.org: redirect to www.gnome.org/news
> > but news.gnome.org/announce: show existing content?
>
> I don't think it should redirect - it should be:
>
> news.gnome.org and gnome.org/news: Aliases for same thing (no R in
> ModRewrite)
>
> Both point to news.gnome.org/announce via a link: "Follow project
> announcements", which will be what we currently have in news.gnome.org

That is far more difficult.

#1 Those are different servers. www.gnome.org is in the UK. news.gnome.org
is somewhere in the US.
#2 I can setup a redirect, but nothing more special than that due to
lack of wordpress knowledge. There is some limitation that we can do
'www.gnome.org/news', but not another vhost. I don't know the specifics.

So for something like that you'll have to file a bug for another
sysadmin to handle. It doesn't seem feasible to me (might require
replicating the planet-web config on a non-Puppet server, that is pretty
invasive)...
--
Regards,
Olav